Crews handle a very high CO level in a township residence
Thursday, November 4, 2021

At 9:45am, Engine 14-1 and Squad 14 responded to the 1800 block of Marshall Ave in the township for a reported CO alarm. Crews arrived at 9:52am and immediately found very dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide in the residence. Donning Self Contained Breathing Apparatus, crews entered basement and found extremely high levels and a vent pipe from a gas furnace that was detached pumping CO into the residence. The furnace was shut down, a heating contractor called and an extended period of ventilation was needed to make the home safe. Crews cleared the scene at 10:59am. The lessons from this incident are very clear. First CO detectors are life savors and are essential in any home. Second we are coming up "change the clocks back, change the detector batteries weekend and that includes the CO detector. Third make sure you have your heating systems checked at the start of the heating season.

Views: 10

Views: 8